Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Perfectionism and Procrastination

I am the above. 

Totally. 

I put off doing things, especially arty stuff, because I am afraid I will not succeed. Better not to try and run the risk of failing right?

 Wrong.

I found this today on a blog by Erin Leigh.

Worth reading. Thanks Erin.




 
 
Now I'm going to answer some questions:

How does your faith impact your creativity?
In every way possible. I think, no mater what your beliefs are, creating something from nothing is inherently spiritual.
So, whether I'm painting a muralmaking a wreath
creating a page in my art journal, ormaking a little bannerit's a spiritual process.
Creating, for me, always comes back to the Parable of the Talents. 
A man hands out talents (gifts) for his servants to invest and use and multiply.
The faithful servants who
 invest their talents come back with double what they started with.
Listen to what the man says to them:

"Well done, good and faithful servant;
you were faithful over a few things,
I will make you ruler over many things.
Enter into the joy of your lord."
Matthew 25:21
Wha??????? Seriously?
All I have to do is use what I have already been given.
It hasn't been given to me to deny or hoard or bury.
It's been given to me to give away. And then guess what,
I get more. Double.
The last part always gets me, though.
The last guy says,
 "I was afraid, and went and hid your talent in the ground. Look, there you have what is yours."
Matthew 25:25


Fear. It seeps in to every single area of life,
often disguised as being distracted, or too busy, or not wanting to be prideful.

I was afraid, so I hid it. I did nothing with it. I just let it sit there.
And the man's reaction?
"You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. 27 So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest. 28 Therefore take the talent from him, and give it to him who has ten talents."
Matthew 25:26
Wow. That's a little harsh, Lord, don't you think?
That's how serious our Lord is about us using the gifts He'
s given to us.
It's a command. It's not an if you feel like it, Erin.
No, it's Him entrusting little ole me with this precious, valuable gift.
To use, invest, develop, and give away.
Wow. That's crazy.

That's a really long answer.
I can't help it. I just got excited.

2 comments:

  1. I saw this too. It helped me to think about being more creative with His help. I know I have to let The Lord use the art as he sees fit. Hey I have been looking for some rainbow dots washi tape for a long time. I finally found the one in an AU store. So I order 4 of them. It is looking like you all have all the good stuff. So let's get creative this week. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon.

      Thanks for dropping by and commenting on the post.
      Erin's story resonated strongly with me and has kicked me into gear!
      I am glad you found washi tape in Australia, we do have some good stuff over here, but not enough!
      Here is a great Aussie site which sells washi tape and heaps of other goodies.

      http://www.rabbitandtheduck.com

      Delete