Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Bunbury

Mark took me for a drive to Bunbury yesterday. We called in at the new Catholic Cathedral, it is a beautiful building with the most magnificent painted windows by Robin Juniper, a West Australian artist who died recently.
 
 
 
We explored the cathedral and sat for a while in the Lady Chapel where this fabulous painting was. ( not painted by Juniper, not sure who the artist is, but it is a lovely example of Folk Art.)
I am wondering if copying it is doable?
 
 
 
 
 
I scoured the bookshop and found this little statue of Our Lady of Lourdes, and had to have her.
She is about 6" high and is quite sweet.
 
 
 
Mark found this Icon and put it in my shopping bag.
 
I think he is worried that I am about to convert to Catholicism. I am not. I just love the statues
(I draw the line at Jesus though, the ones I saw yesterday portrayed him as very sad and sombre)
and Icons, love the icons.
 
We had lunch at the beach. Nice and cool and found a shade to sit under whilst we scoffed our salmon sandwiches, apple juice and yoghurt, then went out to visit Ian and Sally at Dardanup.
On the way home we detoured and went via the Ferguson Vally, really beautiful in winter but a little dry and brown in summer.
 
We found Evedon Park Bush Retreat, a little gem hidden away in the hills. It comprises of several chalets sitting on the banks of a lake, and a restaurant which is perched overlooking the lake. Beautiful green lawns flanked by Agapanthus in full bloom. really lovely spot.
 
 
 
Not looking the best in full summer, but in the cooler, greener months it will be spectacular.
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I quite like some aspects of the Catholic Faith, the nuns (oh for the life!),the bells, the incense and the Saints!
    I have just discovered on the following site, a great page where you can find a Saint for almost anything, a little bit comforting don't you think?

    www.americancatholic.org

    Miss B

    ReplyDelete